Saturday, 17 January 2009

Experimental Eclecticism

maybe its true what my marketing communications lecturer said. a person who dresses differently everyday is a person who is unsure of himself.

i bet my whole lecture hall can attest to the fact that i tend to have an acquired sense of style. as much as most people assume that i dress up purely for attention sake, inviting stares is not exactly my favourite pastime. the fact that i dont adhere to the uni's conventional dress code of t-shirt, shorts and sandals, doesn't mean you can stare at me.

but like my friend said, ''if you dont like the stares then dont dress so differently''

doesnt that then makes me common? a bourgeois. i believe that the biggest fashion crime is not mismatching tartans and plaids, but instead, dressing with no individualism. which in another word translates to being common. and for me, common is a bad word.


i have always seen my style as 'experimental eclecticism'. i dont stick to one style nor do i religiously replicate what i see on the runway. i do however dress according to the weather and my mood. so that means even if it's sweltering hot, i wont wear a jacket just for the sake of fashion. i would however substitute it with a vest instead as i am deeply in love with creating layers.

experimental eclecticism. experimental because i like to mix trends with my own personal touches. and eclecticism because i dont stick to one look (i.e. vintage). i find variety to be more fun.

so back to my first statement. is it true what my marketing communications lecturer said, that people who dress differently everyday means that the person is unsure of himself?


well, if being unsure means that i dont take fashion too seriously and that i like to have fun with how i dress, then i guess i'm probably unsure.

probably?
because i'm unsure, thats why it's probably. isnt definitely unsure an oxymoron? how can u be definite yet unsure at the same time.


nevertheless,

this entry begets the beginning of a new phase for www.ali-joe.blogspot.com. an endeavour where i blog about fashion, trends and also where i focus on my outfit photos. so let's pop the bubbly and i hope this new column excites you.

070120091070-1.jpg picture by alvinhilton

IMG_0187-1.jpg picture by alvinhilton

top : shirt bought from Philippines.
bottom : pleated pants from Marks & Spencers
shoes: loafers from Pedro
bag : Revoltage, cineleisure
glasses : tortoiseshell frames from Levi's




ciao!